DescriptionFor this second edition of his acclaimed textbook, Walter Dodds is joined by co-author Matt Whiles to expand and improve the coverage of both basic and applied aspects of freshwater ecology. This student introduction has been developed with the addition of new sections and box features which allow the reader access to more detailed material without distracting from the clear descriptions of the fundamental issues. The book progresses from descriptions of the aquatic organisms - that fire a student's imagination ? to the physical, chemical and ecological frameworks that allow them to thrive in freshwater habitats. The text is comprehensive and covers all inland freshwaters from lakes and ponds to rivers, streams, wetlands and groundwaters.
- Expanded revision of Dodds' successful text.
- New boxed sections provide more advanced material within the introductory, modular format of the first edition.
- Features basic scientific concepts and environmental applications throughout.
- Added coverage of climate change, ecosystem function, hypertrophic habitats and secondary production.
- Expanded coverage of physical limnology, groundwater and wetland habitats.
- Expanded coverage of the toxic effects of pharmaceuticals and endocrine disrupters as freshwater pollutants
- More on aquatic invertebrates, with more plates and pictures of a broader range of organisms
- Expanded coverage of the functional roles of filterer feeding, scraping, and shredding organisms, and a new section on omnivores.
- Expanded appendix on standard statistical techniques
- Supporting website with figures, extra material and exercises.
Create a review
- publication date: 03/11/2010
- ID: 9780080884776
- series: Aquatic Ecology
- book language: en
- publisher: Elsevier Science
- publisher imprint: Academic Press
- IPhone Epub DRM Kobo
- Android Epub DRM Kobo
- IPad Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-OSX Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-Windows Epub DRM Kobo