Social groups form an important part of our daily lives. Within these groups pressures exist which encourage the individual to comply with the group’s viewpoint. This influence, which creates social conformity, is known as ‘majority influence’ and is the dominant process of social control. However, there also exists a ‘minority influence’, which emerges from a small subsection of the group and is a dynamic force for social change.
Minority Influence and Innovation seeks to identify the conditions under which minority influence can prevail, to change established norms, stimulate original thinking and help us to see the world in new ways.
With chapters written by a range of expert contributors, areas of discussion include:
- processes and theoretical issues
- the factors which affect majority and minority influence
- interactions between majority and minority group members
This book offers a thorough evaluation of the most important current developments within this field and presents consideration of the issues that will be at the forefront of future research. As such it will be of interest to theorists and practitioners working in social psychology.
Other FormatsView more
This product has yet to be reviewed.
Create a review
- publication date: 11/12/2009
- ID: 9781135232764
- book language: en
- publisher: Taylor and Francis
- publisher imprint: Psychology Press
- IPhone Epub DRM Kobo
- Android Epub DRM Kobo
- IPad Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-OSX Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-Windows Epub DRM Kobo