Description'This book is a joy to read. It is full of good sense and, what teachers always hope to find, lots of good, practical ideas...This is a valuable resource and every staffroom should have a copy' - Gifted and Talented Update
'Smith's research interests in inclusive and gifted education are reflected in her publications and this book is no exception. This is essentially a user-friendly practitioner's text, aimed at primary school educators...I would recommend this as a useful addition to the practising teacher's repertoire of resource texts' Susen Smith, former primary school teacher
'The suggestions here, many of them photocopiable, are clearly tried and tested. All primary teachers will find them helpful' - Michael Duffy, The Times Educational Supplement
`A very useful aid to any staff room bookshelf. Easy to read, use and understand- National Association of Gifted Children Newsletter
`A must read for all teachers. This book not only sets out very clearly the needs of Able Gifted and Talented pupils, but also helps teachers reappraise their classroom practice and the role of the learner' - Johanna M Raffan, Director of NACE, National Association for Able Children
How can we provide challenges for the gifted and talented primary school pupil in an inclusive classroom setting?
Using tried and tested examples, this book shows the busy teacher how to challenge able children in their mixed-ability class - where time and resources are usually limited.
The practical tasks will show you how carefully designed activities can cater for a range of abilities. The book has sections on:
- creating a working environment that helps more able pupils to thrive;
- varying the way you ask pupils questions;
- thinking about multiple intelligences and ways to develop them;
- developing different levels of challenge in classroom activities;
- allowing pupils some choice in the activities they do;
- advice on how to run whole-class research projects.
A glossary of key terms and a range of photocopiable material are included.
Class teachers, GATCOs, Teaching Assistants, Learning Support Teachers, trainee teachers and LEA advisers looking for practical teaching ideas to challenge gifted children will find this book ideal for use in their settings.
Create a review
- publication date: 19/05/2014
- ID: 9781446237540
- book language: en
- publisher: SAGE Publications
- publisher imprint: SAGE Publications Ltd
- IPhone Epub DRM Kobo
- Android Epub DRM Kobo
- IPad Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-OSX Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-Windows Epub DRM Kobo