DescriptionWhat makes The Chambers Crossword Dictionary different?
The ultimate resource for all crossword lovers
Chambers Crossword Dictionary is an essential resource for crosswords of all kinds. Comprehensive, reliable and easy-to-use, this major new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated by a team of crossword experts, and is specially tailored to the needs of crossword solvers. With more than 500,000 solutions to cryptic and quick clues, plus explanations of cryptic clue types and the use of anagram and other indicators, and insights into the world of crossword setting and memorable clues, it is an indispensable companion for all cruciverbalists.
The best-selling reference for crossword solvers and setters
- Over 500,000 solutions for every kind of crossword
- More than 2,500 crossword code words to alert you to cryptic ploys
- New synonyms to give you up-to-the-minute answers
- New topic lists to help you solve general knowledge clues
- Over 19,600 'one-stop' entries, with both synonyms and encyclopedic material
- Word lists sorted by length and then alphabetically to make finding solutions easy
- Includes words, phrases, abbreviations, symbols, codes and other cryptic 'building blocks'
- Packed with crossword jargon, anagram and other indicators and essential cryptic vocabulary
- Draws on The Chambers Dictionary, the authoritative Chambers reference range and the vast Chambers crossword clue database
Packed with expert advice from crossword masters:
- Derek Arthur (1945-2010), co-editor of The Listener crossword in The Times and of the Chambers Crossword Dictionary, 2nd edition
- Ross Beresford, former co-editor of The Listener crossword
- Jonathan Crowther, better known to cryptic crossword solvers as Azed, having set crosswords for The Observer for almost 40 years
- Don Manley, crossword setter for many quality newspapers under various pseudonyms (Duck, Quixote, Bradman, Giovanni) and Church Times crossword editor
- Tim Moorey, one of the crossword setting team for The Sunday Times, crossword editor of The Week and author of How to Master The Times Crossword
What is new in this edition?
New solutions, synonyms, and topic lists
This brand new edition, compiled from Chambers' highly acclaimed and vast crossword resources, has been fully updated with thousands of new solutions to be even more useful to crossword fans. New synonyms for publication such as 'podcast' and 'blog' bring the content bang up-to-the-minute. New topic lists such as 'curries' and 'geese' help solve general knowledge clues. All words are grouped by meaning, then by number of characters, then alphabetically, to make finding the solution quick and easy. Special cryptic crossword words which indicate anagrams, reversals, etc give hints and tips for solvers.
Create a review
- publication date: 07/09/2012
- ID: 9780550105455
- series: Chambers Crosswords
- book language: en
- publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
- publisher imprint: Chambers
- IPhone Epub DRM Kobo
- Android Epub DRM Kobo
- IPad Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-OSX Epub DRM Kobo
- Desktop-Windows Epub DRM Kobo