How to pay for your WHSmith.co.uk orders.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the ways to pay?
- Is payment secure?
- When will I be charged?
- Can I pay by Gift Card or eVoucher?
- How do I set up a Credit Account?
- What if I need to cancel an order?
- What if there is a problem with payment?
- Do you store my payment details?
- My question is not answered here. What do I do?
What are the ways to pay?
You can use credit and debit cards, PayPal, gift cards, eVouchers or a credit account to pay for your online orders.
We take the following credit and debit cards:
- American Express
- Diner's Club
We take WHSmith Giftcards and WHSmith eVouchers.
You can pay with a combination of a payment card / PayPal and a Giftcard(s).
It's not possible to pay for your online orders using paper WHSmith gift vouchers or paper Book tokens. However, you can use them in store.
Your payment to us will show up on your card statement as being made to WHSmith.co.uk
Is payment secure?
You can shop with confidence at WHSmith.co.uk. Keeping your information secure is one of our top priorities.
To keep your name, address, credit card details and other information safe, we use the best security software available.
This is called SSL and it encrypts your personal information to make sure it's protected to the highest standard.
How SSL works
When you go to our checkout, you enter a secure part of our website. You'll see a closed padlock icon in your browser - this shows you that the information you give will be transferred securely.
Want to know more?
Comodo is the Advanced Certificate Authority. Comodo has spent millions on research and development to discover new and advanced technologies to make websites safe. WHSmith has undertaken Comodo's certification process before this website was accepted as safe by Comodo. To find out more about Comodo and SSL, and to verify that the WHSmith website is protected, click on the Comodo logo.
When will I be charged?
Your credit or debit card will not be charged until your order is ready to send
- We ask your bank to set aside (or reserve) the money in your account to pay for your order. Although this money may still show in your account, you won't be able to spend it.
- We typically reserve funds for 7-10 days and only take the money when your order is ready to send out.
- >For more details on card payments, see our terms and conditions
- Gift Cards and Paypal are charged when you place your order. Should we not fulfil your order we will refund you.
- government institutions
- Create a credit account.
- Then place your orders in the normal way. You will not be asked for payment in checkout.
- We'll check the balance of your account and the credit limit we've agreed with you.
- If you are within your credit limit, we process your order.
- Orders have to be made by the account holder.
- We can't include purchase order numbers and other information with the orders.
- You will need Adobe Reader, which is free. Not got Adobe Reader? Get it now
- Download the credit account application form
- email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- fax it to 01793 563381, or
- post it to
Website Credit Accounts
Swindon, SN3 3LD
Can I pay by Gift Card or eVoucher?
Yes - enter you card number and security code in the checkout at WHSmith.co.uk or Kobobooks.com.
Giftcards and eVouchers cannot be spent at Partner Websites such as Lawpack.co.uk and FunkyPigeon.com. WHSmith Achievement Award vouchers cannot be spent online.
In checkout enter the card number and security code found on the back of your Giftcard or included in your emailed eVoucher. On a Giftcard scratch off the panel to reveal the security code. If your Giftcard does not cover the cost of your order we will prompt you to add another Giftcard or payment card.
Giftcards and eVouchers are like cash so we deduct the sum when you checkout. If you cancel your order or we are unable to fulfill it we will refund your Gift card.
How do I set up a Credit Account?
Our credit accounts are available for UK-based:
How our credit accounts work
Rather than paying by credit card or debit card when you shop with WHSmith.co.uk, we send you an invoice to be settled within 30 days.
Apply for a credit account
Follow these simple steps ...
1. Create an account in My Account. You'll need to add an email address and contact details.
2. Fill in the paper-based application form to convert your account into a credit account.
Send it to us:
What happens next?
If we approve your application, our customer service team will create an account using the details you've provided.
We'll then email the account holder telling them they can now order and explaining how to do this on the website.
Sometimes we have to turn down an application. If this happens we'll email the account holder to tell them. You can still create a normal online account using a credit or debit card for payment.
What if I need to cancel an order?
We charge credit and debit cards when we are ready to dispatch your order to you. Therefore if you cancel an order we will not take payment.
We charge Gift Cards and PayPal when you place the order, so if you cancel we refund your Gift Card or PayPal account.
What if there is a problem with payment?
If your bank doesn't authorise your payment, a message will appear on the order placement page in checkout telling you what to do next. Please note that only your bank can tell you why your card has been declined.
If we can't take payment from your card when your order is ready to send - because your card has expired, for example - we'll send you an email asking you to contact us with new payment details. If we haven't heard from you within 14 days, we'll cancel your order.
Do you store my payment details?
You enter your payment card details in checkout. After you've checked out you can choose to create an account so that we remember your details for next time. When you create an account your card will be available to use again in 24 hours.
You can save several credit and debit cards and pick the one you want to use.
We don't store your details here, we pass them to our secure payment provider and refer to them by a code number when you next make an order.
My question is not answered here. What do I do?
We may have the answer on another help page - you can check here.
Still need help? Contact our Customer Services team