In line with the British Psychological Society's recent recommendations for teaching the history of psychology, this comprehensive undergraduate textbook emphasizes the philosophical, cultural and social elements that influenced psychology's development. The authors demonstrate that psychology is both a human (i.e. psychoanalytic or phenomenological) and natural (i.e. cognitive) science, exploring broad social-historical and philosophical themes such as the role of diverse cultures and women in psychology, and the complex relationship between objectivity and subjectivity in the development of psychological knowledge. The result is a fresh and balanced perspective on what has traditionally been viewed as the collected achievements of a few 'great men'. With a variety of learning features, including case studies, study questions, thought experiments and a glossary, this new textbook encourages students to critically engage with chapter material and analyze themes and topics within a social, historical and philosophical framework. 5 Tables, black and white; 22 Halftones, black and white; 2 Line drawings, black and white
About the Author
Richard T. G. Walsh is Professor of Psychology at Wilfrid Laurier University. Thomas Teo is a Professor of Psychology at York University, Toronto. Dr Angelina Baydala is an Adjunct Professor of Clinical Psychology and a registered clinical psychologist in private practice in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Contributor: Richard T. G. Walsh
- Imprint: Cambridge University Press
- ISBN13: 9780521691260
- Number of Pages: 728
- Packaged Dimensions: 189x245x31mm
- Packaged Weight: 1540
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Release Date: 2014-03-20
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Richard T. G. Walsh is Professor of Psychology at Wilfrid Laurier University. Thomas Teo is a Professor of Psychology at York University, Toronto. Dr Angelina Baydala is an Adjunct Professor of Clinical Psychology and a registered clinical psychologist in private practice in Edmonton, Alberta.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.