A History of Shropshire: v. 2 (Victoria County History)
By: A.T. Gaydon (volume_editor)Hardback
1 - 2 weeks availability
Ecclesiastical history, the history of public schools and endowed grammar schools, and sporting history provide the bulk of the content in Volume II. The opening chapter deals not only with the territorial organization of the established church in Shropshire but also with the history of Roman catholic and protestant nonconformist organization. There are separate articles on 40 religious houses including the abbeys of Buildwas, Haughmond, Lilleshall, and Shrewsbury and the priory of Wenlock; an account of the Ludlow Palmers' Guild, which maintained a college of chaplains in St Lawrence's church, is also included. Among the 15 schools whose histories are treated are Ludlow Grammar School and Oswestry School, whose origins lie in the Middle Ages, and Shrewsbury School, founded in 1552 to become one of the leading schools of Elizabethan England and restored to greatness in the early 19th century under the energetic rule of Samuel Butler. The dozen articles on the sporting history of Shropshire, besides illuminating the social basis of some sports, revive the memory of such noteworthy sportsmen as John Mytton of Halston and John Purcell, the sporting parson of Sidbury.
A table of population completes the volume; based on the official censuses 1801-1961, the table gives statistics of each parish and for various other local government areas.
Number Of Pages:
- ID: 9780197227299
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes
Prices are for internet purchases only. Prices and availability in WHSmith Stores may vary significantly
© Copyright 2013 - 2017 WHSmith and its suppliers.
WHSmith High Street Limited Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, United Kingdom, SN3 3LD, VAT GB238 5548 36