DescriptionThis wide-ranging study of the Pacific Islands provides a dynamic and provocative account of the peopling of the Pacific, and its broad impact on world history. Spanning nearly 50,000 years of human presence in an area which comprises one-third of our planet - Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia - the narrative follows the development of the region, from New Guinea's earliest settlement to the creation of the modern Pacific states. It also examines the fascinating processes which have contributed to the formation of the hybrid Pacific we know today.
A History of the Pacific Islands
- traces the extraordinarily varied genealogy of all Pacific peoples, looking at their descent from Papuan tribesmen, Austronesian mariners and foreign colonists
- examines the rich inheritance of the Islands as a consequence of succeeding waves of invading, then dominating peoples
- explores the effect on the region - as well as the corresponding global implications - of voyaging, whaling, pandemics, colonization, trade, exploitation, war, nuclear testing and nationhood
Informed by the most recent research and scholarship, Steven Roger Fischer's unique text provides a comprehensive yet concise overview of the Pacific Island's past. It is a highly accessible and invaluable introduction to the history of an area which is currently emerging as pivotal in international affairs.
Create a review
About AuthorSTEVEN ROGER FISCHER is Director of the Institute of Polynesian Languages and Literatures, Auckland, New Zealand, and has authored and edited more than 150 books and articles. For his celebrated decipherments of ancient scripts he was elected in 2010 a Fellow of the Royal Society (New Zealand).
ContentsList of Maps Preface to the Second Edition Preface to the First Edition Acknowledgements Introduction The First Islanders Melanesians, Micronesians, Polynesians The European Trespass The Second Colonization New Pacific Identities Pacific Islanders in Transit Re-Inventing Pacific Islands The 'New Pacific' Selected Further Reading Index
- publication date: 13/03/2013
- ISBN13: 9780230362680
- Format: Hardback
- Number Of Pages: 368
- ID: 9780230362680
- weight: 557
- ISBN10: 0230362680
- edition: 2nd Revised edition
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes