More than 100 vocabulary-building quizzes make up the core of the book, with shorter sections on:
* The fascinating origins of words
* Quotes and misquotes
* Slang, dialects and secret languages
* Unforgettable Adverts, Famous Lines from Novels and Movies
* Newspeak, Basic English, spelling reform
* Malapropisms, politicians' blunders and 'mispeakings'
* Mnemonics and other memory joggers
* Palindromes and anagrams
* Semaphore. Morse, tic-tac, hand gestures and other ways of speaking without words
Entry after entry explores the byways, oddities and curiosities of the English language.
The book's joint authors are veteran wordsmiths, having both spent their careers using words to reach audiences numbered in their millions. Robin Hosie as Editorial Director of Reader's Digest Books, and Vic Mayhew as one-time editor of the entire Mirror Group.