A Most Masculine State: Gender, Politics and Religion in Saudi Arabia (Cambridge Middle East Studies)
Madawi Al-Rasheed (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 2 weeks
Women in Saudi Arabia are often described as either victims of patriarchal religion and society or successful survivors of discrimination imposed on them by others. Madawi Al-Rasheed's new book goes beyond these conventional tropes to probe the historical, political and religious forces that have, across the years, delayed and thwarted their emancipation. The book demonstrates how, under the patronage of the state and its religious nationalism, women have become hostage to contradictory political projects that on the one hand demand female piety, and on the other hand encourage modernity. Drawing on state documents, media sources and interviews with women from across Saudi society, the book examines the intersection between gender, religion and politics to explain these contradictions and to show that, despite these restraints, vibrant debates on the question of women are opening up as the struggle for recognition and equality finally gets under way. - Printed music items
About the Author
Madawi Al-Rasheed is Professor of Anthropology of Religion at King's College London. She specialises in Saudi history, politics and society. Her publications include Contesting the Saudi State (2007), Kingdom without Borders (2009) and A History of Saudi Arabia (2010).
- Contributor: Madawi Al-Rasheed
- Imprint: Cambridge University Press
- ISBN13: 9780521122528
- Number of Pages: 352
- Packaged Dimensions: 152x229x19mm
- Packaged Weight: 480
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Release Date: 2013-04-08
- Series: Cambridge Middle East Studies
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Madawi Al-Rasheed is Professor of Anthropology of Religion at King's College London. She specialises in Saudi history, politics and society. Her publications include Contesting the Saudi State (2007), Kingdom without Borders (2009) and A History of Saudi Arabia (2010).
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.