A World Apart and Other Stories: Czech Women Writers at the Fin de Siecle (Modern Czech Classics 2nd edition)
Kathleen Hayes (Contributor)
PRE-ORDER released 03 December 2021
A World Apart brings together translations of eight stories by Czech women from the turn of the twentieth century-a period of female political emancipation and impressive literary development in Czechoslovakia. Though they're little known to an English-language public today, all of the writers featured in the book were recognized in their own day and constitute a cross-section of the literary styles of the period. Anna Maria Tilschova's "A Sad Time" is written in a naturalist style, while Ruzena Jesenska's "A World Apart" presents themes and motifs that appealed to the Decadents. Helena Malirova's "The Sylph" is both diaristic and satirical, whereas Ruzena Svobodova's ironical "A Great Passion," with its rural setting and folklore motifs, calls to mind the writings of Karel Jaromir Erben. Gabriela Preissova's short story "Eva" may be read as a celebration of folk culture, and Bozena Benesova's "Friends" is interesting for its psychological presentation of a child's point of view and its implicit criticism of anti-Semitism. The book is accompanied by the biographies of each author and an introduction by editor and translator Kathleen Hayes.
About the Author
Kathleen Hayes received her PhD from the School of Slavonic and East European Studies at the University of London and has taught Czech literature and history at Charles University and New York University in Prague.
- Contributor: Kathleen Hayes
- Imprint: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- ISBN13: 9788024647333
- Number of Pages: 204
- Packaged Dimensions: 127x191mm
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- Release Date: 2021-12-03
- Series: Modern Czech Classics
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Kathleen Hayes received her PhD from the School of Slavonic and East European Studies at the University of London and has taught Czech literature and history at Charles University and New York University in Prague.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.