Adorno on Nature
Deborah Cook (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 2 weeks
Decades before the environmental movement emerged in the 1960s, Adorno condemned our destructive and self-destructive relationship to the natural world, warning of the catastrophe that may result if we continue to treat nature as an object that exists exclusively for our own benefit. "Adorno on Nature" presents the first detailed examination of the pivotal role of the idea of natural history in Adorno's work. A comparison of Adorno's concerns with those of key ecological theorists - social ecologist Murray Bookchin, ecofeminist Carolyn Merchant, and deep ecologist Arne Naess - reveals how Adorno speaks directly to many of today's most pressing environmental issues. Ending with a discussion of the philosophical conundrum of unity in diversity, "Adorno on Nature" also explores how social solidarity can be promoted as a necessary means of confronting environmental problems.
Also available on eBook for £26.79. Click here to purchase from Rakuten Kobo
About the Author
Deborah Cook is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Windsor, Canada. She is author of The Culture Industry Revisited: Theodor W. Adorno on Mass Culture, and Adorno, Habermas, and the Search for a Rational Society, and editor of Theodor Adorno: Key Concepts (2008).
- Contributor: Deborah Cook
- Imprint: Acumen Publishing Ltd
- ISBN13: 9781844652624
- Number of Pages: 224
- Packaged Dimensions: 156x234mm
- Packaged Weight: 340
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Taylor & Francis Ltd
- Release Date: 2011-03-23
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Deborah Cook is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Windsor, Canada. She is author of The Culture Industry Revisited: Theodor W. Adorno on Mass Culture, and Adorno, Habermas, and the Search for a Rational Society, and editor of Theodor Adorno: Key Concepts (2008).
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.