Building on the success of the second edition, this truly accessible textbook comprehensively covers the 2008 AS and A2 level Biology specifications for all the main UK exam boards.The book also has a companion website which is free to book users providing extra resources.
Written by authors with many years' experience of teaching, examining and writing, this is an ideal resource for class or independent study.
The book includes the following features:
* How Science Works feature boxes focus on this key element of the new specifications.
* Stretch and Challenge boxes challenge more able students, enabling them to achieve the highest grades.
* Science in Context boxes encourage students to relate their learning to the world around them.
* Summaries at the end of every chapter help students with revision.
* Test Yourself questions throughout the text enable students to monitor their own progress in preparation for their exams.
* Remember This boxes highlight the key facts.
The website provides the following additional resources:
* Practice questions (and answers) allow students to test their understanding of the material just covered.
* How Science Works assignments allow students to prepare for the How Science Works element of the new AS and A2 Biology exams.
Mike Boyle is Head of Biology at Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College (one of the largest Sixth Form Colleges in the UK with over 2500 students). He is also a former examiner for AQA. Mike has 26 years' experience of teaching A-level and has written 12 successful A-level textbooks for HarperCollins and 4 GCSE textbooks. Kathryn Senior worked as a biomedical research scientist for five years before joining a scientific publishing company working on educational science textbooks. After four years in-house, she embarked on a freelance editing and writing career. In the last 15 years, she has written 10 popular science books for children. As an academic science writer, she also writes regular news articles and features for several journals, including The Lancet Infectious Diseases, The Lancet Oncology and Frontiers, the Journal of the Ecological Society of America and contributes research highlights articles to the various Nature Clinical Practice journals. Kathryn has also worked on writing projects for Macmillan Cancer Relief, the Physiological Society, the Guardian educational publishing division, the European Life Sciences Organisation, the European Commission and the BBC.