Uckfield was a small agricultural village, part of the parish of Buxted until 1846. It gained a little importance due to its location on the road from Canterbury to Chichester and became a resting-place for ecclesiastics. It was not until the coming of the railway that its rural isolation came to an end and the town began to grow. As the new town grew, one by one the ancient buildings were demolished and scenes unchanged for generations were transformed. Fortunately the camera had been invented so all was not lost as the evocative pictures in this book show.