Christianization and Communication in Late Antiquity: John Chrysostom and his Congregation in Antioch
Jaclyn L. Maxwell (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 2 weeks
How did ordinary people and Church authorities communicate with each other in late antiquity and how did this interaction affect the processes of Christianization in the Roman Empire? By studying the relationship between the preacher and his congregation within the context of classical, urban traditions of public speaking, this book explains some of the reasons for the popularity of Christian sermons during the period. Its focus on John Chrysostom's sermons allows us to see how an educated church leader responded to and was influenced by a congregation of ordinary Christians. As a preacher in Antioch, Chrysostom took great care to convey his lessons to his congregation, which included a broad cross-section of society. Because of this, his sermons provide a fascinating view into the variety of beliefs held by the laity, demonstrating that many people could be actively engaged in their religion while disagreeing with their preacher. Worked examples or Exercises
About the Author
Jaclyn Maxwell is Assistant Professor in the Departments of History and Classics and World Religions at Ohio University. She studied at Princeton University and in 2002/3 held an Andrew J. Mellon Research Fellowship for Junior Faculty from the American Council of Learned Societies.
- Contributor: Jaclyn L. Maxwell
- Imprint: Cambridge University Press
- ISBN13: 9780521117715
- Number of Pages: 212
- Packaged Dimensions: 152x229x12mm
- Packaged Weight: 320
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Release Date: 2009-07-30
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Jaclyn Maxwell is Assistant Professor in the Departments of History and Classics and World Religions at Ohio University. She studied at Princeton University and in 2002/3 held an Andrew J. Mellon Research Fellowship for Junior Faculty from the American Council of Learned Societies.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.