Contemporary Sport Management returns with a new edition that makes this popular introductory text stronger and more applicable than ever for students who plan to enter, or are considering entering, the field of sport management.
The sixth edition of Contemporary Sport Management offers the knowledge of 58 highly acclaimed contributors, 25 of them new to this work. Together, they present a wide array of cultural and educational backgrounds, offer a complete and contemporary overview of the field, and represent the diversity that is noteworthy of this profession.
This latest edition offers much new and updated material:
- A new chapter on analytics in the sport industry
- New and updated international sidebars for each of the book's 21 chapters, with accompanying questions in the web study guide
- New professional profiles showcasing the diversity in the field
- Streamlined chapters on sport management history and sociological aspects of sport management, emphasizing the issues most relevant to today's sports managers
- Updated sidebars and learning features, including Historical Moment sections, chapter objectives, key terms, social media sidebars, sections on applied practice and critical thinking, and more
In addition, Contemporary Sport Management offers an array of student and instructor ancillaries:
- A revamped web study guide that contains over 200 activities, presented through recurring features such as Day in the Life, Job Opportunities, and Learning in Action
- An instructor guide that houses a sample syllabus, instruction on how to use the web study guide, a section on promoting critical thinking in sport management, lecture outlines, chapter summaries, and case studies from the journal Case Studies in Sport Management to help students apply the content to real-world situations
- A test package and chapter quizzes that combine to offer 850 questions, in true/false, fill-in-the-blank, short answer, and multiple choice formats
- A presentation package of 350 slides covering the key points of each chapter, as well as an image bank of the art, tables, and content photos from the book
This new edition addresses each of the common professional component topical areas that COSMA (the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation) considers essential for professional preparation: sport management foundations, functions, environment, experiential learning, and career development.
Contemporary Sport Management is organized into four parts. Part I provides an overview of the field and the important leadership concepts associated with it. Part II details the major settings in which many sport management positions are carried out. In part III, readers learn about the key functional areas of sport management, including sport marketing, sport consumer behavior, sport communication, sport facility and event management, and more. And in part IV, readers examine current sport management issues, including how sport management interfaces with law, sociology, globalization, analytics, and research.
Every chapter includes a section or vignette on international aspects of the field and ethics in sport management. This text particularly focuses on the ability to make principled, ethical decisions and on the ability to think critically. These two issues, of critical importance to sport managers, are examined and analyzed in detail in this book.
Contemporary Sport Management, Sixth Edition, will broaden students' understanding of sport management issues, including international issues and cultures, as it introduces them to all the aspects of the field they need to know as they prepare to enter the profession. With its up-to-date revisions and new inclusions, its internationally renowned stable of contributors, and its array of pedagogical aids, this latest edition of Contemporary Sport Management maintains its reputation as the groundbreaking and authoritative introductory text in the field.