Conversation and speaking skills are the key building blocks for much of language learning. This text increases teachers’ awareness about spoken language and suggests ways of applying that knowledge to teaching second-language interaction skills based on insights from Conversation Analysis (CA).
Conversation Analysis and Second Language Pedagogy:
- reviews key CA concepts and findings
- directly connects findings from CA with second language pedagogy
- presents a model of interactional practices grounded in CA concepts
- includes numerous transcripts of actual talk
- invites readers to complete a variety of tasks to solidify and extend their understandings
- features a useful collection of practical teaching activities.
The time is ripe for a book that blends conversation analysis and applied linguistics. This text takes that important step, extending the reaches of these once separate academic fields. Assuming neither background knowledge of conversation analysis nor its connection to second language teaching, it is designed for courses in TESOL and applied linguistics and as a resource for experienced teachers, material developers, and language assessment specialists seeking to update their knowledge and hone their craft.
- publication date: 11/06/2010
- ID: 9781136975837
- series: ESL & Applied Linguistics Professional Series
- book language: en
- publisher: Taylor and Francis
- publisher imprint: Routledge
- Android Epub DRM Yes
- Ereader Epub DRM Yes
- Desktop Epub DRM Yes
- IOS Epub DRM Yes
- Windows Epub DRM Yes