This comprehensive, detailed account explores crime and punishment throughout the world through the eyes of leading experts, local authors and scholars, and government officials.
* Four volumes covering Africa, the Americas, Asia/Pacific, and Europe
* More than 200 essays written by academics, government officials, and independent experts
* Four world maps and sixteen regional maps depicting distribution of murder rates, prison, corporal punishment, and death penalty rates
* A "Learn More" section in each chapter that lists 4-6 recommended readings
* Quick reference information at the start of each entry providing at a glance a country's type of legal system, use or prohibition of capital and corporal punishment, and levels of serious crimes such as murder and human trafficking