DescriptionPregnancy affects the physiology of women as their bodies adapt tothe growing life within them; but how does this affect how youmanage general, or pre-existing medical complaints?
How do you differentiate the effects of pregnancy from genuinemedical conditions? What are the effects of the standard treatments on the growing fetus? What aboutbreastfeeding?
In this brand-new edition of de Swiet s MedicalDisorders in Clinical Practice, expert physicians present thebest evidence and practical wisdom to guide you and your patientsthrough their pregnancy and illness, to a successful birth andearly motherhood. Using a combination of algorithms, years ofexperience and an evidence-based approach, this book will help youto: * Diagnose difficult to identify conditions during pregnancy * Effectively prescribe for pregnant and lactating women * Overcome the challenges of imaging, anesthesia and criticalcare for pregnant women
de Swiet s assists you in navigating the manychallenges pregnancy presents for both the patient andphysician.
Create a review
About AuthorRaymond Powrie MD FRCP FACP, Professor of Medicine, Obstetrics, and Gynecology, The Warren Alpert School of Medicine of Brown University, and Women & Infants Hospital of RI, USA Michael F Greene MD, Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, MA, USA William Camann MD, Chief of Obstetric Anesthesia, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School. He is also the present President of the Society of Obstetric Anesthesiologists and Perinatologists
ContentsList of contributors.
1. Pulmonary disease in pregnancy (Lucia Larson, NiharikaMehta, Michael J. Paglia, Ghada Bourjeily with Warwick D. NganKee).
2. Hematologic disease in pregnancy (Claire McLintock, JohnT. Repke with Brenda Bucklin).
3. Thromboembolic disease in pregnancy (CatherineNelson-Piercy and Ian Greer).
4. Thrombophilias and pregnancy (Marc A. Rodger, MichaelPaidas with Lawrence Tsen and Joanne Douglas).
5. Heart disease in pregnancy (Cynthia Maxwell, AthenaPoppas, Mathew Sermer with Elizabeth McGrady).
6. Hypertension in pregnancy (Christopher W. G. Redman,Sig-Linda Jacobson with Robin Russell).
7. Renal disease in pregnancy (Mark A. Brown, George J.Mangos, Michael Peek with Felicity Plaat).
8. Rheumatologic disorders in pregnancy (Megan E. B. Clowse,Michelle Petri and Andra H. James).
9. Disorders of the liver, biliary system and exocrine pancreasin pregnancy (Sailesh Kumar, Mrinalini Balki and CatherineWilliamson (with Eliana Castillo and Deborah M.Money).
10. Disorders of the gastrointestinal tract in pregnancy(Niharika Mehta, Sumona Saha, Edward K.S. Chien with SilviaDegli Esposti and Scott Segal).
11. Diabetes mellitus in pregnancy (Michael F. Greene, CarenG. Solomon, Stephanie L. Lee with Robert A. Peterfreund).
12. Thyroid disease in pregnancy (Erin Keely and Brian M.Casey).
13. Pituitary and adrenal disease in pregnancy (Mark E.Molitch and Alan Peaceman).
14. Calcium metabolism and diseases of the parathyroid glandsduring pregnancy (Martin N. Montoro and T. MurphyGoodwin).
15. Neurologic disorders in obstetric practice (Dominic C.Heaney, David J. Williams, Patrick O Brien with ChrisElton).
16. Nonviral infectious diseases in pregnancy (BrennaAnderson, Melissa Gaitanis with Daniel I. Sessler).
17. Viral infections in pregnancy other than humanimmunodeficiency virus (Eliana Castillo and Deborah M.Money).
18. Human immunodeficiency virus infection in pregnancy (RuthE. Tuomala, Judith S. Currier, Susan Cu-Uvin with RoshanFernando).
19. Substance misuse in pregnancy (Ilana B. Crome, Khaled M.K. Ismail with David Birnbach).
20. Skin diseases in pregnancy (Mark Davis, Brian Brost withNollag O Rourke).
21. Psychiatric disorders in pregnancy (Teri Pearlstein andJami Star).
22. Cancer in pregnancy (Sunanda Sadanandan, Timothy Hurley,Carolyn Muller, Claire Verschraegen, Marianne Berwick, Charles L.Wiggins and Kimberly K. Leslie).
23. Critical care in pregnancy (Uma Munnur, Dilip R. Karnad,Edward R. Yeomans and Kalpalatha K. Guntupalli).
24. Embryologic and fetal development.
25. Global issues in maternal health (Rudiger Pittrof, MokeMagoma, Veronique Filippi with Medge D. Owen).
26. Future health concerns for women who have had a complicatedpregnancy (David J. Williams).
27. Special concerns for the obese patient (Hugh M. Ehrenbergwith Richard N. Wissler).
28. Special concerns for patients with advanced maternal age(Linda Heffner).
29. Principles of obstetric anesthesia (Stephen Gatt andWilliam Camann).
30. Prescribing in pregnancy: a practical approach (Sandra L.Kweder and Raymond O. Powrie).
31. Prescribing during lactation (Thomas W. Hale and TeresaBaker).
32. Diagnostic imaging in pregnancy (Sandra A. Lowe).
33. Contraception for women with medical disorders (Iris Tongand Raymond O. Powrie).
34. Effect of pregnancy on common laboratory tests (MichaelCarson and Elvis R. Pagan).
35. Approach to headaches in pregnancy (Jessica Illuzzi, EmmaBarber and Men-Jean Lee).
36. Approach to anemia in pregnancy (Dorothy Graham and JamiStar).
37. Approach to moderately elevated liver function tests inpregnancy not attributable to pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome(Margaret A. Miller).
38. Approach to shortness of breath in pregnancy (GhadaBourjeily, Hanan Khalil and Michael J. Paglia).
39. Approach to hypertensive emergencies in pregnancy (LauraA. Magee and Peter von Dadelszen with David Wlody).
40. Approach to palpitations in pregnancy (Winnie W. Sia,Paul S. Gibson and Rshmi Khurana).
41. Approach to proteinuria identified remote from term(Margaret A. Miller).
42. Approach to new-onset hypertension remote from term(Margaret A. Miller).
43. Approach to presyncope and syncope in pregnancy (Paul S.Gibson, Rshmi Khurana and Winnie W. Sia).
44. Approach to chest pain in pregnancy (Rshmi Khurana,Winnie W. Sia and Paul S. Gibson).
45. New-onset seizures in pregnancy (Laura A. Magee,Anne-Marie Cote and Peter von Dadelszen).
46. Approach to prosthetic heart valves in pregnancy (WeeShian Chan, Mark C. Walker and Marc A. Rodger).
47. Approach to the use of glucocorticoids in pregnancy fornonobstetric indications (Kenneth K. Chen and Raymond O.Powrie).
48. Approach to hyperemesis gravidarum (Sumona Saha,Catherine Williamson, Niharika Mehta, Edward K.S. Chien and SilviaDegli Esposti).
49. Approach to fetal assessment, optimization of neonataloutcome, mode of delivery and timing for nonobstetric readers(Michael Peek, George J. Mangos and Mark A. Brown).
50. Promoting safe care for women with medical problems duringpregnancy (Raymond O. Powrie, James A. O Brien with KueChung Choi).
Appendix: Medications and their relative risk to breastfeedinginfants.
- publication date: 11/06/2010
- ISBN13: 9781405148474
- Format: Hardback
- Number Of Pages: 806
- ID: 9781405148474
- weight: 2240
- ISBN10: 1405148470
- edition: 5th Revised edition
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes