Deeds of the Palmers' Gild of Ludlow
By: M.A. Faraday (author)Paperback
4 - 6 days availability
These documents cover the 300 year history of the Palmer's Gild up to its dissolution in 1551. Some 1,495 deeds of various kinds, mostly in Latin, some in Norman-French or English are all shown in English. They demonstrate the extent of the Gild's interests and also provide the most important source of information about the families of the town and other places, their descents, the derivations of their names and their occupations. The Gild became the leading institution in Ludlow and it supported (a) an important chantry in the parish church, (b) a college of chaplains who provided many services, both spiritual and secular, (c) building and ornamentation work in the parish church and (d) provided a kind of mutual insurance service for its members who came from all over the country, including at one time Richard, duke of York himself. The gild acquired many properties from donations, bequests and purchases and the rents financed its activities. There is a comprehensive index. This is a paperback.
Number Of Pages:
- ID: 9781291257151
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes
Prices are for internet purchases only. Prices and availability in WHSmith Stores may vary significantly
© Copyright 2013 - 2017 WHSmith and its suppliers.
WHSmith High Street Limited Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, United Kingdom, SN3 3LD, VAT GB238 5548 36