When it was first published in 2000, Harvey Mansfield and Delba Winthrop's new translation of Democracy in America was lauded in all quarters as the finest and most definitive edition of Tocqueville's classic - complete with the most faithful and readable translation to date, impeccable annotations of unfamiliar references, and a substantial introduction placing the work and its author in the broader contexts of political philosophy and statesmanship. Mansfield and Winthrop's astonishing efforts have not only captured the elegance, subtlety, and profundity of Tocqueville's original, but they also offer proof of how very essential this masterpiece continues to be.
Also available on eBook for £12.29. Click here to purchase from Rakuten Kobo
About the Author
Harvey C. Mansfield is the William R. Kenan Jr. Professor of Government at Harvard University. Delba Winthrop is a lecturer and administrator of the Program on Constitutional Government at Harvard University.
- Contributor: Alexis de Tocqueville
- Imprint: University of Chicago Press
- ISBN13: 9780226805368
- Number of Pages: 722
- Packaged Dimensions: 17x23x5mm
- Packaged Weight: 1304
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: The University of Chicago Press
- Release Date: 2002-06-10
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Harvey C. Mansfield is the William R. Kenan Jr. Professor of Government at Harvard University. Delba Winthrop is a lecturer and administrator of the Program on Constitutional Government at Harvard University.