Paik Nak-chung is one of Korea's most incisive contemporary public intellectuals. By training a literary scholar, he is perhaps best known as an eloquent cultural and political critic. This volume represents the first book-length collection of his writings in English. Paik's distinctive theme is the notion of a "division system" on the Korean peninsula, the peculiar geopolitical and cultural logic by which one nation continues to be divided into two states, South and North. Identifying a single structure encompassing both Koreas and placing it within the framework of the contemporary world-system, Paik shows how this reality has insinuated itself into virtually every corner of modern Korean life.
About the Author
Paik Nak-chung is emeritus professor of English literature at Seoul National University and co-chair of the Korea Peace Forum.
- Contributor: Nak-chung Paik
- Imprint: University of California Press
- ISBN13: 9780520289888
- Number of Pages: 280
- Packaged Dimensions: 152x229x15mm
- Packaged Weight: 408
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: University of California Press
- Release Date: 2017-02-28
- Series: Seoul-California Series in Korean Studies
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Paik Nak-chung is emeritus professor of English literature at Seoul National University and co-chair of the Korea Peace Forum.