Think more deeply and work more independently at A level History through a carefully thought-out enquiry approach from SHP.
Enquiring History: It makes you think!
The OFSTED report on school history suggests that the current generation of A Level students have been poorly served by exam-based textbooks which spoon-feed students while failing to enthuse them or develop deeper understanding of History.
The Schools History Project has risen to this challenge with a new series for the next generation. Enquiring History is SHP's fresh approach to Advanced Level History that aims:
- To motivate and engage readers
- To help readers think and gain independence as learners
- To encourage enquiry, and deeper understanding of periods and the people of the past
- To engage with current scholarship
- To prepare A Level students for university.
Key features of each Student book:
- Clear compelling narrative - books are designed to be read cover to cover
- Structured enquiries - that explore the core content and issues of each period
- 'Insights' (Feature panels between enquiries) provide context, overview, and extension
- Full colour illustrations throughout.
The Russian Revolution
This title examines Russian history from 1894-1924 - the stories, settings, characters and issues that make this such an extraordinarily important and popular topic. The enquiries have an obvious focus on causes but also on interpretations. Each new generation of historians has interpreted these events through their own lenses - their own time, place and political standpoint - making this topic one of the most powerful for understanding how history is written and how interpretations are formed.
Web-based support includes
- lesson planning tools and guidance for teachers available from the SHP website http://www.schoolshistoryproject.org.uk/Publishing/BooksSHP/Enquiring/RusRev/EHSRusRev.html- eBooks for whole class teaching or individual student reading available from eBook retailers
View sample chapter here http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/SiteImages/51/51470c4a-7b8a-423e-85a3-ccd12c7c27ce.pdf Full colour throughout