Epistemic Modality in Standard Spoken Tibetan: Epistemic Verbal Endings and Copulas
Zuzana Vokurkova (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
The Sino-Tibetan language family is the second largest in the world, and standard Tibetan is the most widely spoken language in the Tibetic group. A comprehensive introduction to epistemicity in standard spoken Tibetan, this book examines the grammatical expression of a variety of epistemic modalities-rather, the myriad ways in which a speaker indicates their confidence in the knowledge on which their statement is based-through numerous examples of epistemic types. It elucidates the complex system of epistemic verbal endings and epistemic copulas, or connecting words, employed in the spoken language, analyzing them from semantic, syntactic, and pragmatic viewpoints.
About the Author
Zuzana Vokurkova is a researcher and senior lecturer in the Seminar of Mongolian and Tibetan Studies of the Institute of South and Central Asia, Faculty of Arts, at Charles University in Prague.
- Contributor: Zuzana Vokurkova
- Imprint: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- ISBN13: 9788024635880
- Number of Pages: 236
- Packaged Dimensions: 212x296x14mm
- Packaged Weight: 628
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- Release Date: 2018-03-13
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Zuzana Vokurkova is a researcher and senior lecturer in the Seminar of Mongolian and Tibetan Studies of the Institute of South and Central Asia, Faculty of Arts, at Charles University in Prague.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.