Building on the success of a much-loved elementary text, Essentials of Middle and Secondary Social Studies focuses on the key issues central to the actual teaching of middle and high school social studies, including lesson planning and inclusive instructional strategies. Written in an engaging, conversational style, the text encourages teachers in their development as professionals and enables them to effectively use creative and active learning strategies in the everyday classroom.
Features of the book include:
* A full chapter on lesson plans designed to provide middle and secondary social studies teachers with classroom tested lesson plans. The chapter includes two classroom tested lessons for each social science discipline---U.S. History, World History, Geography, Government, Economics, Psychology, & Sociology.
* A chapter on technology that is designed to better prepare middle and secondary social studies teachers to effectively teach social studies with technology. Attention is given to digital history, media literacy, teaching with film and music, and numerous other types of impactful technology.
* Each teaching methodology and lesson plan discusses how the strategy can be used to meet the individual needs of diverse learners, including English Language Learners and exceptional education students.
* A section in each chapter provides various resources for further development. The section includes articles, books, and web resources.
* Each chapter includes an "Extension" activity offering readers with the opportunity to extend the learning experience with relevant and meaningful real-life scenarios.
* "Focus activities" give readers the opportunity to prepare for the learning experience with relevant and meaningful scenarios.
* Covers current topics such as NCSS Standards, Common Core State Standards, Technology, Media, Skills, Character Education, and Literacy.