Written by best-selling authors Leiyu Shi and Douglas Singh, Essentials of the U.S. Health Care System is the most concise examination of the basic structures and operations of the U.S. health system. An ideal resource for courses in health policy, allied health, health administration and more, the text clarifies the complexities of health care organization and finance and presents a solid overview of how the various components fit together.
The Third Edition is a comprehensive update that offers new data, charts, and tables throughout the book, as well as updated ancillary materials.
New to the Third Edition:
* Data updated throughout the book reflected in tables and text
* Information on Healthy People 2020 initiative
* New material on U.S. health reform throughout the book
* New materials on disparities initiatives
* Updated conceptual framework on determinants of health
* Mental health services in their historical context
* Patient centered care
* The Magnet recognition program of the American Nurses Credentialing Center
* Critical access hospitals
* Accountable care organizations
* Updates on vulnerable populations
* New information on health centers and safety-net providers
* Revised perspectives on the future of health care in America