Built as the London terminus of the London & Birmingham Railway in July 1837, Euston was London's first intercity railway station. Originally designed by Philip Hardwick, the station entrance was through the world's largest Doric propylaeum, which became known as the Euston Arch. In the 1840s the station was expanded greatly and by 1923 express trains left Euston regularly for Wales, Scotland and the major cities of England, including Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool. In 1961 - 2, the original station was demolished, to a huge outcry, and a new modernist station built in its place. In 2007, it was announced that the station would be rebuilt once more, but these plans fell by the wayside and in 2011 a new plan was announced. Euston is one of London's busiest stations, and may eventually be the terminus of the HS2 line. Join the author on a journey through time, telling the story of Euston from 1837 to the present day.
John Christopher has written and edited a number of books on Engineering, Military History and Railway and Road Transport, specializing in the life and works of Isambard Kingdom Brunel and being the series editor for Amberley's Bradshaw's Guides series. He has also appeared in Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys television series. In between writing books, he is a balloon pilot and Land Rover fan. He lives in Gloucestershire.