Family Matters: (British Library Crime Classics)
Anthony Rolls (Author)
'The characters are quite extraordinarily living...A most original and grimly farcical situation' - Dorothy L. SayersRobert Arthur Kewdingham is an eccentric failure of a man. In middle age he retreats into a private world, hunting for Roman artefacts and devoting himself to bizarre mystical beliefs. Robert's wife, Bertha, feels that there are few things more dreadful than a husband who will persist in making a fool of himself in public. Their marriage consists of horrible quarrels, futile arguments, incessant bickering. Scarcely any friends will visit the Kewdinghams in their peaceful hometown Shufflecester. Everything is wrong - and with the entrance of John Harrigall, a bohemian bachelor from London who catches Bertha's eye, they take a turn for the worse. Soon deep passions and resentments shatter the calm facade of the Kewdinghams' lives. This richly characterised and elegantly written crime novel from 1933 is a true forgotten classic.
About the Author
Anthony Rolls was a pseudonym of C.E. Vulliamy (1886-1971), a biographer, soldier and archaeologist of distinction who also wrote ten crime novels, four of which were published during the golden age of British detective fiction between the world wars.
- Contributor: Anthony Rolls
- Imprint: The British Library Publishing Division
- ISBN13: 9780712356695
- Number of Pages: 256
- Packaged Dimensions: 130x190mm
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: British Library Publishing
- Release Date: 2017-03-10
- Series: British Library Crime Classics
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Anthony Rolls was a pseudonym of C.E. Vulliamy (1886-1971), a biographer, soldier and archaeologist of distinction who also wrote ten crime novels, four of which were published during the golden age of British detective fiction between the world wars.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.