This collection of tales represents and preserves the oral heritage of Arctic and Subarctic ethnic groups, so that their stories are no longer in danger of becoming lost to future generations.
* More than 30 tales from the Arctic and Subarctic regions of Siberia, Scandinavia, Greenland, Alaska, and Canada
* Brief cultural histories of the ethnic groups Inuit, Saami, Yupik, Siberian and northern European Russian, Dene, Innu, and Alaskan Inupiat
* Photographs contributed by Canadian photographer Paul Northcott, teacher Joyce Hill, St. Petersburg's Zina Sergeevna Nikitina, and the Department of Russian Folklore at Moscow State University
* A glossary of terms used in the stories from various Arctic languages
* An index of stories, cultures, and cultural objects, historical events, folktale characters, festivals and celebrations, beliefs and traditions, and more