Comprehensive, single-source coverage of the entire first year of medical school!
First Aid for the Basic Sciences: General Principles, Third Edition provides readers with a solid understanding of the basic science principles with which all medical students must be familiar. Delivering a comprehensive single-source review of the entire first year of medical school, the book assumes little prior knowledge, and includes important background material most other reviews leave out. Delivers comprehensive single-source coverage of the entire first year of medical school written in easy-to-understand, non-technical language.
* An essential companion during your first two years of medical school
* Includes important foundational content most other reviews leave out
* Focuses on the high-yield topics and facts tested on the USMLE Step 1
* Enhanced by full-color images, learning aids, tables, and concise text to streamline your study and help you excel in coursework and on the USMLE Step 1
* Provides a complete framework for understanding biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, pathology, pharmacology, and public health sciences
* Mirrors the table of contents of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 to facilitate side-by-side study
* Written by students who aced the USMLE and reviewed by top faculty
Tao Le, MD, MHS, is Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Allergy and Immunology at the University of Louisville. He is also affiliated with the Division of Allergy and Immunology at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Contributing Authors Faculty Reviewers Preface Acknowledgments How to Use This Book How to Contribute Chapter 1: Anatomy and Histology Cellular Anatomy and Histology Gross Anatomy and Histology Chapter 2: Behavioral Science Epidemiology Statistics Disease Prevention Ethics Life Cycle Psychology Chapter 3: Biochemistry Molecular Biology Nucleotide Synthesis Mutations and DNA Repair Enzymes The Cell Connective Tissue Homeostasis and Metabolism Amino Acids Nutrition Fed Versus Unfed State Laboratory Tests and Techniques Genetics Chapter 4: Embryology Chapter 5: Microbiology Bacteriology Spirochetes Mycology Parasitology Virology Microbiology: Systems Antimicrobials Chapter 6: Immunology Principles of Immunology Pathology Chapter 7: Pathology Chapter 8: General Pharmacology Pharmacodynamics Pharmacokinetics Toxicology IndexAbout the Editors