Shallow ocean, or ""flats,"" fishing is one of the most popular coastal activities in Florida. In ""Fishing Florida's Flats"", world-champion angler Jan Maizler draws on the expertise of numerous ""flatsmasters"" who share their wisdom on how to land a trophy catch. Their advice - suitable for a range of first-time and experienced anglers - includes tackle selection, techniques, and directions to ""hot spots"" for each flats species. From habitat, biology, and feeding patterns to spotting tactics and state records, each flats fish is covered in detail. Maizler offers invaluable knowledge of the many vessels available, the different kinds of flats and the best ways to wade them, and important weather safety information. He also reviews the recent technical and electronic developments in flats fishing, such as web sites, software programs, and Global Positioning System devices. For the large and growing number of anglers who have chosen flats fishing as their sport, this is the ultimate guide for catching bonefish, tarpon, permit, barracuda, sharks, redfish, seatrout, and snook in the state. Get hooked on ""Fishing Florida's Flats"". 47 b/w photos
About the Author
Jan S. Maizler is a journalist and former IGFA world-record holder for bonefish on two-pound line and permit on four-pound line. He is the author of seven books, including Flats Fishing II: A Shoalwater Handbook and Fishing Florida's Coast.
- Contributor: Jan S. Maizler
- Imprint: University Press of Florida
- ISBN13: 9780813031453
- Number of Pages: 208
- Packaged Weight: 296
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: University Press of Florida
- Release Date: 2007-10-30
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Jan S. Maizler is a journalist and former IGFA world-record holder for bonefish on two-pound line and permit on four-pound line. He is the author of seven books, including Flats Fishing II: A Shoalwater Handbook and Fishing Florida's Coast.