Funky Nassau: Roots, Routes, and Representation in Bahamian Popular Music (Music of the African Diaspora 15)
Timothy Rommen (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
This book examines the role music has played in the formation of the political and national identity of the Bahamas. Timothy Rommen analyzes Bahamian musical life as it has been influenced and shaped by the islands' location between the United States and the rest of the Caribbean; tourism; and Bahamian colonial and postcolonial history. Focusing on popular music in the second half of the twentieth and early twenty-first centuries, in particular rake-n-scrape and Junkanoo, Rommen finds a Bahamian music that has remained culturally rooted in the local even as it has undergone major transformations. Highlighting the ways entertainers have represented themselves to Bahamians and to tourists, "Funky Nassau" illustrates the shifting terrain that musicians navigated during the rapid growth of tourism and in the aftermath of independence. 10 b-w photographs, 5 line drawings, 7 tables, 24 musical examples
About the Author
Timothy Rommen is Associate Professor in the Department of Music at the University of Pennsylvania. He is the author of Mek Some Noise: Gospel Music and the Ethics of Style in Trinidad (UC Press), which in 2008 was awarded the Alan Merriam Prize from the Society for Ethnomusicology.
- Contributor: Timothy Rommen
- Imprint: University of California Press
- ISBN13: 9780520265684
- Number of Pages: 332
- Packaged Dimensions: 152x229x33mm
- Packaged Weight: 590
- Format: Hardback
- Publisher: University of California Press
- Release Date: 2011-06-14
- Series: Music of the African Diaspora
- Binding: Hardback
- Biography: Timothy Rommen is Associate Professor in the Department of Music at the University of Pennsylvania. He is the author of Mek Some Noise: Gospel Music and the Ethics of Style in Trinidad (UC Press), which in 2008 was awarded the Alan Merriam Prize from the Society for Ethnomusicology.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.