Young Hercules is challenged by the King to carry out seven labours - no problem, although the King is less impressed when he brings back the evidence and stinks out the palace.
* Lime/Band 11 books have longer sentence structures and a greater use of literary language.
* Text type - A playscript of a traditional tale.
* Pages 30 and 31 feature a `wanted poster' for a your man answering to Hercules description, providing a great starting point for lots of speaking, listening and writing activities.
* Curriculum links - Citizenship: Taking part, Living in a diverse world, Animals and us.
* This book has been levelled for Reading Recovery.
Diane was born and educated in Lancashire. Her interest in children's books began when she used them to teach English in language schools in Italy. She returned to live in Cambridge, where she taught multi-cultural education before working as a radio and TV presenter. Diane has also been involved in script writing for TV and the stage. She was asked to write The Journey of Odysseus for a Children's Theatre, which gave her the inspiration to delve deeper into the world of the Ancient Greeks.