History and the Testimony of Language: (California World History Library 16)
Christopher Ehret (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
This book is about history and the practical power of language to reveal historical change. Christopher Ehret offers a methodological guide to applying language evidence in historical studies. He demonstrates how these methods allow us not only to recover the histories of time periods and places poorly served by written documentation, but also to enrich our understanding of well-documented regions and eras. A leading historian as well as historical linguist of Africa, Ehret provides in-depth examples from the language phyla of Africa, arguing that his comprehensive treatment can be applied by linguistically trained historians and historical linguists working with any language and in any area of the world. 13 line illustrations, 5 maps, 33 tables
Also available on eBook for £18.09. Click here to purchase from Rakuten Kobo
About the Author
Christopher Ehret is Distinguished Professor of History at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is the author of many books, including Reconstructing Proto-Afroasiatic (UC Press), An African Classical Age, and, most recently, The Civilizations of Africa.
- Contributor: Christopher Ehret
- Imprint: University of California Press
- ISBN13: 9780520262041
- Number of Pages: 288
- Packaged Dimensions: 152x229x22mm
- Packaged Weight: 544
- Format: Hardback
- Publisher: University of California Press
- Release Date: 2011-01-18
- Series: California World History Library
- Binding: Hardback
- Biography: Christopher Ehret is Distinguished Professor of History at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is the author of many books, including Reconstructing Proto-Afroasiatic (UC Press), An African Classical Age, and, most recently, The Civilizations of Africa.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.