DescriptionThis is the state-of the-art book on inflammatory boweldisease you have been waiting for
Written and edited by international experts in gastroenterologythis up-to-date volume provides a complete review of the basicscience behind inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), as well asevidence-based clinical guidance on diagnosis, treatment andlong-term management of IBD.
In 50 chapters the authors cover the latest and most promisingtreatment modalities and the science behind them. There arechapters which cover the advances in the medical and surgicaltreatment of conditions such as Crohn's disease and ulcerativecolitis, as well as chapters focusing on nutrition, imaging andcomplementary medicine.
This is an invaluable information resource for all those in themedical team treating patients with IBD. Whether you are agastroenterologist, gastrointestinal surgeon or GI nurse specialistthis book deserves a place in your library.
Create a review
About AuthorStephan R. Targan, MD Director, Cedars-Sinai Inflammatory Bowel and ImmunobiologyResearch Institute, and Division of Gastroenterology, Los Angeles,CA, USA
Fergus Shanahan, MD Professor and Chair, Department of Medicine and Director,Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, NationalUniversity of Ireland; Professor, Department of Medicine, CorkUniversity Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Loren C. Karp Researcher/Specialist, Cedars-Sinai Inflammatory Bowel andImmunobiology Research Institute, Los Angeles, CA, USA
ContentsList of Contributors.
1. Overview of inflammatory bowel diseases: from bench tobedside and back (Fergus Shanahan, Loren C. Karp, Stephan R.Targan).
2. Heterogeneity of inflammatory bowel diseases (Loren C.Karp, Stephan R. Targan).
3. Epidemiology: the changing faces of Crohn's disease andulcerative colitis (Charles Bernstein).
4. Genetics of inflammatory bowel disease (Severine Vermeire,Paul Rutgeerts).
5. Experimental mouse models of inflammatory bowel disease: newinsights into pathogenic mechanisms (Charles O. Elson).
6. The normal intestinal mucosa: a state of "controlled"inflammation (Markus Neurath, Raja Atreya).
7. Innate immunity (Maria T. Abreu, Masayuki Fukata, KeithBreglio).
8. Adaptive immunity (novel effector cells/TGF SMAD) (ThomasT. MacDonald, Giovanni Monteleone).
9. The bacterial/epithelial/lymphocyte interface (RichardBlumberg, Robert Hershberg, Sebastian Zeissig).
10. Cytokines and chemokines in mucosal homeostasis (MichelH. Maillard, Scott B. Snapper).
11. Role of the microcirculation in chronic gut inflammation(Matthew B. Grisham, D. Neil Granger, Norman R. Harris,Christopher G. Kevil).
12. Remission, relapse, intestinal healing and repair (DanielK. Podolsky, Raymond J. Playford).
13. Pathophysiology of inflammatory bowel disease: thebidirectional relationship of gut physiological systems and themucosal immune system (Stephen Collins, KennethCroitoru).
14. Pathogenesis: systemic consequences of intestinalinflammation (Konstantinos A. Papadakis, Leonidas A.Bourikas).
15. Clinical course and complications of ulcerative colitis andulcerative proctitis (Graham L. Radford-Smith, A.J.Walsh).
16. Clinical features and complications of Crohn's disease(Bruce Sands).
17. Practical IBD pathology in patient management (DanielRoyston, Bryan Warren).
18. An endoscopist's perspective of diagnosis: when, where andwhat? (Simon Lo).
19. Imaging in inflammatory bowel disease: CT and MRenterography, ultrasound, and enteroscop (Edward V.Loftus).
20. New diagnostic approaches (integrating serologics, endoscopyand radiology and genomics) (Marla Dubinsky, Lee A.Denson).
21. Differential diagnosis of colitis (Christina M. Surawicz,Sue C. Eng, Christine Schlenker).
22. Issues related to practice guidelines, reimbursement, drugrationing in the US and Europe (David H. Alpers).
23. Pharmacoeconomic outcomes/disease activity indices/studydesign (Mark T. Osterman, James D. Lewis, Faten N.Aberra).
24. Muti-site therapeutic modalities for inflammatory boweldiseases: mechanisms of action, combination therapy (GerhardRogler).
25. Site specific therapeutics for inflammatory bowel diseases(Finbar McCarthy, Laurence Egan).
26. Therapeutic manipulation of the microbiota in inflammatorybowel disease: antibiotics and probiotics (Fergus Shanahan, JohnKeohane).
27. Nutrition and inflammatory bowel diseases (JonathanRhodes, Keith Leiper, Sarah Rushworth).
28. Medical management of ulcerative colitis (WilliamSandborn).
29. Surgical management of ulcerative colitis (Victor Fazio,Myles Joyce).
30. Clinical characteristics and management of pouchitis andileal pouch disorders (Bo Shen).
31. Medical management of Crohn s disease (SimonTravis).
32. Surgical treatment of Crohn s disease/perianalCrohn s disease (Robin McLeod).
33. Management of post-operative prevention of recurrence inCrohn s disease (Gert Van Assche, Severine Vermeire, PaulRutgeerts).
34. The molecular pathology of IBD-associated neoplasia andpreneoplasia (Steven Itzkowitz, Lea Ann Chen).
35. Dysplasia in inflammatory bowel disease: clinical pathologyand current surveillance method (William Connell, JarradWilson).
36. Hepatobiliary diseases in patients with inflammatory boweldiseases (Roger Chapman, Sue Cullen).
37. Articular and ocular complications of inflammatory boweldiseases (Derek Jewell, T.R. Orchard).
38. Cutaneous manifestations of inflammatory bowel diseases(Shane Devlin).
39. Fertility and pregnancy in inflammatory bowel diseases(Uma Mahadevan).
40. Special considerations in pediatric inflammatory boweldiseases (Marc Girardin, Ernest Seidman).
41. Collagenous and lymphocytic colitis (DiarmuidO Donoghue, Kieran Sheahan).
42. IBD microcirculation and diversion, diverticular and othernon-infectious colitides (David Binion, ParvanehRafiee).
43. Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (RichardFarrell, Mohammad Azam).
44. Infectious colitis (Michael Farthing).
45. Human immunodeficiency virus and inflammatory bowel diseases(Ian McGowan, Ross Cranston).
46. Bone metabolism and inflammatory bowel disease (CharlesBernstein, William Leslie).
47. Comprehensive approach to patient risk: risks versusbenefits of immunomodulators and biologic therapy for IBD (CoreyA. Siegel).
48. Complementary medicine (David Rampton, LouiseLangmead).
49. Legal pitfalls in treating IBD patients (SeamusO'Mahony).
50. The present and future of research and treatment ofinflammatory bowel disease (Stephan R. Targan, Loren C. Karp,Fergus Shanahan).
- publication date: 28/04/2010
- ISBN13: 9781405157254
- Format: Hardback
- Number Of Pages: 750
- ID: 9781405157254
- weight: 2088
- ISBN10: 1405157259
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes