Up to 2 WeeksUsually despatched within 2 weeks
Recent developments in ICT, especially the web, have led to the creation of a growing number of digital library projects in the UK, USA and elsewhere. This new phenomenon is designed to bring a paradigm shift in the ways we create, access and use information. The design and development of digital libraries depend on computer, communication and other technical skills, and the dream of successful digital libraries leading to a global digital environment can only be fulfilled when sufficient practitioners have the skills to design, build and manage them.
This book presents a holistic view of the new digital library scene. Supported by a wealth of international examples, it is an essential guide to good digital practice and techniques. The authors have experience both in teaching courses on digital libraries and in actively researching them, and the text is based on evidence provided by models of major digital library research projects around the globe. Key topics include:
* digital libraries: definition and characteristics
* features of some digital libraries
* digital library design
* digital library research
* collection management
* information organization
* information access and user interface
* information retrieval in digital libraries
* digital archiving and preservation
* digital library services
* social, economic and legal issues
* digital library evaluation
* digital libraries and the information profession
* trends in digital library research and development.
Readership: This invaluable textbook offers an all-round view of digital libraries and is a core text for students of digital librarianship and related courses at departments of information science and computer science. It is also essential reading for practitioners and researchers who need to get a good grasp of issues and developments in the field.
G. G. Chowdhury, BSc Hons, MSc, PhD, FCLIP is a Professor of Information and Knowledge Management and Director of the Centre for Information and Knowledge Management at the University of Technology, Sydney. He has co-written several best-selling books with Facet Publishing including Information Users and Usability in the Digital Age and Introduction to Modern Information Retrieval and is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Documentation, Library Review, Journal of Information Science, World Digital libraries: an international journal, and Online Information Review. Sudatta Chowdhury BSc MLISc MPhil is a Researcher at the Department of Computer and Information Sciences, University of Strathclyde.
1. Digital libraries: definition and characteristics 2. Features of some digital libraries 3. Digital library research 4. Digital library design 5. Collection management 6. Digitization 7. Information organization 8. Information access and user interfaces 9. Information retrieval in digital libraries 10. Digital archiving and preservation 11. Digital library services 12. Social, economic and legal issues 13. Digital library evaluation 14. Digital libraries and the information profession 15. Trends in digital library research and development.
Number Of Pages:
- ID: 9781856044653
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes
Prices are for internet purchases only. Prices and availability in WHSmith Stores may vary significantly
© Copyright 2013 - 2018 WHSmith and its suppliers.
WHSmith High Street Limited Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, United Kingdom, SN3 3LD, VAT GB238 5548 36