DescriptionThis highly accessible account of the evolution of American racismoutlines how colorblind approaches to discriminationensured the perpetuation of racial inequality in the United Stateswell beyond the 1960s. * A highly accessible account of the evolution of Americanracism, its perpetuation, and black people s struggles forequality in the post-civil rights era * Guides students to a better understanding of the experiencesof black Americans and their ongoing struggles for justice, byhighlighting the interconnectedness of African American historywith that of the nation as a whole * Highlights the economic and political functions that racismhas served throughout the nation s history * Discusses the continuation of the freedom movement beyond the1960s to provide a comprehensive new historiography of racialequality and social justice
Create a review
About AuthorGreta de Jong is Associate Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno. Her research focuses on the connections between race and class and the ways that African Americans have fought for economic as well as political rights from the end of slavery through the twenty-first century. She is the author of A Different Day: African American Struggles for Justice in Rural Louisiana, 1900--1970 (2002).
1. The Never Ending Story: American Racism from Slavery to theCivil Rights Movement.
2. From the Freedom Movement to Free Markets: Racializing theWar on Poverty and Colorblinding Jim Crow.
3. A System without Signs: The Invisible Racism of thePost-Civil Rights Era.
4. Fighting Jim Crow s Shadow: Struggles for RacialEquality after 1965.
5. To See or Not to See: Debates over Affirmative Action.
6. Is This America? Electoral Politics after the Voting RightsAct.
7 Fir$st Cla$$ Citizen$hip: Struggles for Economic Justice.
8. All Around the World: The Freedom Struggle in a GlobalContext.
- publication date: 12/03/2010
- ISBN13: 9781405167185
- Format: Paperback
- Number Of Pages: 256
- ID: 9781405167185
- weight: 386
- ISBN10: 1405167181
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes