Charlotte Bronte's first published novel, Jane Eyre was immediately recognised as a work of genius when it appeared in 1847. Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. How she takes up the post of governess at Thornfield Hall, meets and loves Mr Rochester and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage are elements in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than that traditionally accorded to her sex in Victorian society.
About the Author
Charlotte Bronte (1816-55), along with her sisters Emily and Anne, is one of the greatest novelists of the 19th century. She is also the author of Shirley, The Professor, Villette.
- Contributor: Charlotte Bronte
- Imprint: Penguin Books Ltd
- ISBN13: 9780141804583
- Packaged Dimensions: 128x142x24mm
- Packaged Weight: 178
- Format: Audio Book
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
- Release Date: 2003-02-27
- Binding: CD-Audio
- Biography: Charlotte Bronte (1816-55), along with her sisters Emily and Anne, is one of the greatest novelists of the 19th century. She is also the author of Shirley, The Professor, Villette.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.