The twentieth century has spawned a great interest in Indonesian music, and now books, articles, and manuscripts can be found that expound exclusively about karawitan (the combined vocal and instrumental music of the gamelan). Scholar Judith Becker has culled several key sources on karawitan into three volumes and has translated them for the benefit of the Western student of the gamelan tradition.The texts in her collection were written over a forty-five-year time period (ca 1930-1975) and include articles by Martopangrawit, Sumarsam, Sastrapustaka, Gitosaprodjo, Sindoesawarno, Poerbapangrawit, Probohardjono, Warsadiningrat, Purbodiningrat, Poerbatjaraka, and Paku Buwana X. The final volume also contains a glossary of technical terms, an appendix of the Javanese cipher notations (titilaras kepatihan), a biographical listing, and an index to the musical pieces (Gendhing).
About the Author
Judith Becker is the Director of the Center for South and Southeast Asian Studies and Professor of Ethnomusicology, University of Michigan.
- Contributor: Judith Becker
- Imprint: The University of Michigan Press
- ISBN13: 9780472038206
- Number of Pages: 512
- Packaged Dimensions: 152x229mm
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: The University of Michigan Press
- Release Date: 2021-01-30
- Series: Michigan Papers On South And Southeast Asia
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Judith Becker is the Director of the Center for South and Southeast Asian Studies and Professor of Ethnomusicology, University of Michigan.