Key Clinical Topics in Sports and Exercise Medicine offers an indispensable revision guide for Sports and Exercise Medicine trainees. Designed to provide rapid access to over 100 core topics, this book reflects the latest developments in this highly relevant and evolving specialty. Edited by leading Consultants, Sports and Exercise Medicine provides the essential resource for exam revision and quick reference at the point of care.
* Over 100 topics presented in alpha order, from abdominal injuries, to urinary injuries
* Arranged in a consistent, standardised manner to facilitate ease and speed of use
* Includes illustrations to improve understanding of key concepts
* Contributions from experienced specialists to ensure authoritative, accurate content
Ali Narvani MB BS BSc MRCS(Eng) MSc(Sports Med) FRCS (Tr & Orth) MFSEM(UK) Consultant Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon, Ashford and St Peter's Hospital, Surrey Panos Thomas MD CCSTOrth MFSEM FRCS Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, The Whittington Hospital, London Bruce Lynn BSc PhD Emeritus Professor of Physiology, UCL, London
1. Abdominal injuries in sport 2. Achilles tendon and calf 3. Ageing and sport 4. Altitude 5. Ankle - persistent problems following sprains: lateral ankle instability 6. Ankle - persistent problems following sprains: other injuries 7. Ankle - persistent problems following sprains: overview 8. Back pain - discogenic 9. Back pain - lumbar strains and sprains 10. Back pain - overview 11. Back pain - spondylolysis 12. Biomechanics 13. Cervical spine - cervical cord neuropraxia 14. Cervical spine - cervical disc injuries and herniations 15. Cervical spine - cervical ligament and muscle injuries 16. Cervical spine - fracture dislocation 17. Cervical spine - nerve root/brachial plexus injuries 18. Cervical spine injuries - overview 19. Chest injuries (Chest Wall and Intrathoracic) 20. Cold - hypothermia 21. Compartment pressure syndromes 22. Diabetes and exercise 23. Disability and sport - classification 24. Disability and sport - equipment 25. Disability and sport - medical problems 26. Disability and sport - overview 27. Diving, breath-holding and scuba 28. Drugs in sport - anabolics 29. Drugs in sport - blood doping, erythropoietin and altitude training 30. Drugs in sport - overview 31. Drugs in sport - the administrative framework: doping control procedures 32. Ear, nose, throat conditions in athletes 33. Elbow - instability 34. Elbow - lateral and medial epicondylitis (tennis elbow) NOW TWO TOPICS) 35. Elbow - throwing injuries 36. Epilepsy and exercise 37. Event doctor 38. Exercise and health 39. Exercise physiology - circulatory and respiratory systems 40. Exercise promotion 41. Eye injuries in sports 42. Fatigue 43. Female athlete - exercise during pregnancy 44. Female athlete - the triad 45. Fitness Testing 46. Forearm and wrist conditions 47. Gender verification 48. Gene doping 49. Groin pain 50. Hand injuries 51. Head injury 52. Heel pain 53. Imaging of sports injuries - computed tomography (CT) 54. Imaging of sports injuries - isotope bone scan 55. Imaging of sports injuries - magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) 56. Imaging of sports injuries - plain radiograph (plain X-ray) 57. Imaging of sports injuries - ultrasound (USS) 58. Infection and sport 59. Knee - acute injuries 60. Knee - anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries 61. Knee - cartilage conditions 62. Knee - MCL and LCL injuries 63. Knee - meniscus injuries 64. Knee - multiligament injuries 65. Knee - other injuries 66. Knee - overuse injuries 67. Knee - patello femoral conditions & Anterior Knee pain 68. Knee - posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injuries 69. Maxillofacial injuries in sport 70. Muscle properties relevant to sports and exercise 71. Nerve entrapment syndromes - lower limb 72. Nerve entrapment syndromes - upper limb 73. Nerve injury - overview of peripheral nerve injuries 74. Osteoarthritis and sport 75. Paediatrics - osteochondrosis (osteochondritis) 76. Paediatrics - sports injuries 77. Paediatrics - sports medicine 78. Physiotherapy - acute injury management 79. Physiotherapy - general principles 80. Physiotherapy - rehabilitation 81. Physiotherapy - the team physiotherapist 82. Prevention of sports injuries 83. Psychology - performance enhancement 84. Psychology - sports injuries 85. Pulmonary disorders and exercise 86. Risk of sudden death in athletes 87. Shin pain 88. Shoulder - acromioclavicular joint injuries 89. Shoulder - acute dislocation 90. Shoulder - impingement syndrome/rotator cuff disease 91. Shoulder - instability 92. Shoulder - long head of biceps lesions 93. Shoulder - SLAP lesions 94. Shoulder and overhead throwing athlete 95. Skin infections in athletes 96. Stress fractures 97. Team physician 98. Tendinopathy 99. Thermoregulation and fluid balance in hot conditions 100. Thigh - muscular contusions and myositis ossificans 101. Thigh pain (anterior) - quadriceps muscle injuries 102. Thigh pain (posterior) - hamstring strains 103. Training 104. Unexplained underperformance syndrome 105. Urinary tract injuries