Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways began to operate an electric tram service in Kirkcaldy in 1903, connecting with the Wemyss and District Tramways Company service to Leven, further up the Fife coast, which began in 1906. In 1928 Walter Alexander & Sons introduced a motor bus service in direct competition with the trams, as a result of which the tramways closed at the start of the 1930s. Following on from that, Alexanders' buses operated services in Kirkcaldy and central Fife until they were absorbed into the Scottish Bus Group. Using a mixture of colour and black and white images, Walter Burt, himself a bus driver based in Fife, takes us through the history of tram and bus services in Kirkcaldy and the surrounding area up to the present day, from Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways and Walter Alexander through to Stagecoach Fife.
Walter was born in Dunfermline on April 1962. He is a Fitter/Turner to trade having spent 14 years in Rosyth Dockyard. He also worked in the signalling centre at Waverley Station in Edinburgh as a Train Performance Clerk and within the main station as a Station Officer. He has been driving buses with Stagecoach Fife for 16 years working from Dunfermline depot. He is the owner of Fife's last Y-type Leyland Leopard, FPE189, which is currently undergoing restoration. He also runs the successful fifescottish.com website, although it has been a bit neglected of late. He is a keen railway modeller (with no layout at present). He is married and has two children.