Intended for advanced undergraduates and beginning graduates with some basic knowledge of optics and quantum mechanics, this text begins with a review of the relevant results of quantum mechanics, before turning to the electromagnetic interactions involved in slowing and trapping atoms and ions, in both magnetic and optical traps. The concluding chapters discuss a broad range of applications, from atomic clocks and studies of collision processes, to diffraction and interference of atomic beams at optical lattices and Bose-Einstein condensation. XVI, 324 p.
- Contributor: Harold J. Metcalf
- Imprint: Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- ISBN13: 9780387987286
- Number of Pages: 324
- Packaged Dimensions: 155x235mm
- Packaged Weight: 1070
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Release Date: 2001-11-09
- Series: Graduate Texts in Contemporary Physics
- Binding: Paperback / softback