The informal style of Laser Material Processing (4th Edition) will guide you smoothly from the basics of laser physics to the detailed treatment of all the major materials processing techniques for which lasers are now essential.
* Helps you to understand how the laser works and to decide which laser is best for your purposes.
* New chapters on laser physics, drilling, micro- and nanomanufacturing and biomedical laser processing reflect the changes in the field since the last edition, updating and completing the range of practical knowledge about the processes possible with lasers already familiar to established users of this well-known text.
* Provides a firm grounding in the safety aspects of laser use.
* Now with end-of-chapter exercises to help students assimilate information as they learn.
* The authors' lively presentation is supported by a number of original cartoons by Patrick Wright and Noel Ford which will bring a smile to your face and ease the learning process.
Professor William Steen was, until his retirement in 2000, the Chair of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Liverpool. He started one of the first University-based research schools in laser material processing in the world at Imperial College, London in 1968. Since then he and his group have played a leading role in developing many of the processes discussed in this book, processes that are making the laser a manufacturing tool of great importance. Professor Steen is one of the founder members of the Association of Industrial Laser users (AILU) of which he was the first President. He was also a Director of the Laser Institute of America. Jyoti Mazumder is the Robert H. Lurie Professor of Mechanical Engineering, a Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, the Director of the Center for Laser-Aided Intelligent Manufacturing, and the Director for the NSF I/UCRC for Lasers and Plasmas for Advanced Manufacturing at the University of Michigan. He was an early student of Professor Steen's and obtained his PhD at Imperial College in 1978. Professor Mazumder's research interests include: transforming the field of materials processing by laser from a technological art to scientifically based-engineering; laser aided manufacturing; atom to application; technical approach including on-line optical diagnostics, transport phenomena modeling, non-equilibrium synthesis of materials with tailored properties, and their evaluation and characterization. He has used earlier editions of this book in his class teaching for many years. He was the author of Laser Processing: Surface Treatment and Film Deposition. Professor Mazumder is a fellow and ex-President of the Laser Institute of America and the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Laser Applications. He has numerous awards and honours to his name. Jyoti Mazumder's research group operates on funding from TRW (automotive safety systems); Defense Advanced Research Project Agency; National Science Foundation; Office of Naval Research; GE-AEBG; Delphi-Packard; and Ford. Professor Mazumder's authorial input will ensure that the content of the book continues to represent the most up-to-date knowledge in the field and keeps abreast of teaching trends in the subject.
Prologue.- Background to Laser Design and General Applications.- Basic Laser Optics.- Laser Cutting, Drilling and Piercing.- Laser Welding.- Theory, Mathematical Modelling and Simulation.- Laser Surface Treatment.- Rapid Prototyping and Low-volume Manufacture.- Laser Ablative Processes - Macro- and Micromachining.- Laser Bending or Forming.- Laser Cleaning.- Biomedical Laser Processes and Equipment.- Laser Automation and In-process Sensing.- Laser Safety.- Epilogue.