Leadership Psychology: How the Best Leaders Inspire Their People
By: Alan Cutler (author)Paperback
Only 2 in stock
A better understanding of the psychological relationships at play within current working environments will enable leaders to achieve greater success for themselves and their organizations. Leadership Psychology outlines how inspirational leaders across a range of award-winning companies of all sizes understand their employees' psychological needs and use that knowledge to affect behaviour and enhance performance.
The book showcases examples of leadership best practice in businesses featured in The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work for Survey. Exclusive information gained through interviews with the most highly regarded leaders of a special selection of these winning companies is analyzed and critically evaluated, using the underpinning principles of occupational psychology to reveal modern trends in working practice. Leadership Psychology also includes unique information based on the author's discussions with military professionals at Sandhurst, sharing one-of-a-kind insights about what makes a strong leader under pressure. With updated looks at the unwritten 'psychological contract,' between employers and employees and a new analysis of Herzberg's motivational hygiene theory, Leadership Psychology is an original and timely addition to studies of leadership in the context of motivational factors.
This book provides up-to-the-minute practical guidance, based upon a rigorous psychological foundation, to executives holding operational or strategic leadership positions in businesses of all shapes and sizes.
Alan Cutler has had a varied career, including 16 years commissioned service in the Royal Air Force, retiring as a Squadron Leader in 1989, and Head of Hospitality Services at Aston University. For the past 14 years he has run his own training and consultancy company, Hospitality Leadership. He is also a Senior Associate of Adair International and a Fellow of both the Chartered Management Institute and the Institute of Hospitality.
- Chapter - 00: Introduction;
- Chapter - 01: Leadership theory - past and present;
- Chapter - 02: Future challenges - the 21st-century leader;
- Chapter - 03: Motivation - the enduring principles;
- Chapter - 04: The emotionally intelligent leader - identifying and controlling emotions;
- Chapter - 05: Leader development - identifying and promoting the inner self;
- Chapter - 06: The psychological contract - unwritten expectations of leaders and followers;
- Chapter - 07: Strategic leadership - navigating a course into an uncertain future;
- Chapter - 08: Extreme leadership - leading when life is threatened;
- Chapter - 09: Future leadership - the way forward
Number Of Pages:
- ID: 9780749470814
- Saver Delivery: Yes
- 1st Class Delivery: Yes
- Courier Delivery: Yes
- Store Delivery: Yes
Prices are for internet purchases only. Prices and availability in WHSmith Stores may vary significantly
© Copyright 2013 - 2018 WHSmith and its suppliers.
WHSmith High Street Limited Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, United Kingdom, SN3 3LD, VAT GB238 5548 36