In 1560, when Mary of Guise ran Scotland and Mary, Queen of Scots, remained in France, Mary of Guise moved the Scottish Court to Leith, a site that is now Parliament Street, off Coalhill. Serving Edinburgh's shipbuilding and repair facilities, Leith's port saw the opening of a new Wet Dock, the first of its kind in Scotland. Today, Leith is, again, part of Edinburgh, and recent regeneration has helped improve its poorer areas.
Leith has played a long and prominent role in Scottish history. As the major port serving Edinburgh, it has been the stage on which many significant events in Scottish history have taken place. From housing the Scottish Court to seeing civil war, being the port of call for royal arrivals and becoming its own burgh, Leith has seen it all. Leith Through Time takes you on this journey, with old and new images to illustrate how Leith has changed over the years.
Jack Gillon, is a long term resident of Edinburgh, has worked as a Town Planner involved in the conservation of the city's heritage of historic buildings for around 30 years and has an extensive knowledge of the city's history and architecture. Jack writes historical and architectural items as part of his day-to-day work - these have included Edinburgh's Post War Listed Buildings (2011). Jack's previous commercial publication, Eccentric Edinburgh, was published in 1990. He previously wrote Edinburgh in the 1950s for Amberley Publishing (2014).