Letters to a Young Academic: Seeking Teachable Moments
Guy R. McPherson (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
Young academicians are serious scholars and voracious readers who are perennially in search of practical and inspiring advice about their vocation. Their tenure-driven neuroses, combined with an inherent competitive streak and an understanding of the importance of public service, engender their quest for advice about life in the academy. In Letters to a Young Academic: Seeking Teachable Moments, Guy R. McPherson feeds a sophisticated audience hungry for practical, inspirational, and witty advice. He begins by answering the question, 'Why choose academia?,' then addresses the fundamental nature of the 'life of mind' before addressing questions that deal with the 'how' and 'what' of teaching. Finally, McPherson turns to issues of career advancement and professional service. Each topics is described in a series of personal letters. This book is a quick read that will evoke laughter, reflection, and contemplation for all young scholars.
About the Author
Guy R. McPherson is an award-winning teacher and researcher. A lifelong academician, his scholarly efforts focus on conservation of biological diversity. He has written six books dozens of articles.
- Contributor: Guy R. McPherson
- Imprint: Rowman & Littlefield Education
- ISBN13: 9781578863389
- Number of Pages: 176
- Packaged Dimensions: 116x189x15mm
- Packaged Weight: 163
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Rowman & Littlefield
- Release Date: 2006-01-27
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Guy R. McPherson is an award-winning teacher and researcher. A lifelong academician, his scholarly efforts focus on conservation of biological diversity. He has written six books dozens of articles.