Life After J.E.B. Stuart: The Memoirs of His Granddaughter, Marrow Stuart Smith
Sean M. Heuvel (Author)
Available / dispatched within 1 - 4 weeks
Mary Marrow Stuart Smith (1889-1985) lived a remarkable life as a respected artist and Virginia educator. The eldest grandchild of famed Confederate Cavalry General J.E.B. Stuart, she belonged to one of the Commonwealth's most celebrated families. Based on her original, never-before-published memoirs, Life after J.E.B. Stuart recounts Marrow's childhood as the Stuart family struggled to survive following the Civil War. It explores her efforts to pursue a fine arts education and career within a family known for its male soldiers and politicians. With rare photographs, previously unknown information about the family, and a foreword by Marrow's granddaughter, Life after J.E.B. Stuart is a must-read for those interested in the Civil War, southern history, or women's studies.
About the Author
Sean M. Heuvel teaches in the Department of Leadership and American Studies at Christopher Newport University. He holds degrees from the College of William and Mary and the University of Richmond.
- Contributor: Sean M. Heuvel
- Imprint: Hamilton Books
- ISBN13: 9780761854630
- Number of Pages: 182
- Packaged Dimensions: 155x232x12mm
- Packaged Weight: 322
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: University Press of America
- Release Date: 2012-01-10
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Sean M. Heuvel teaches in the Department of Leadership and American Studies at Christopher Newport University. He holds degrees from the College of William and Mary and the University of Richmond.