DescriptionLiterary Reviewwas founded in Edinburgh in 1979 by Dr Anne Smith, head of the English Department at Edinburgh University. She created a lively, intelligent literary magazine for people who love reading. From the start,Literary Reviewplugged in to the best and most exciting current writing. The reviewers are usually authors themselves, not just critics. In the 1980s, Auberon Waugh became editor. For fourteen years Waugh led the magazine and gave it the high profile it has today, including bringing on board Willie Rushton as cover illustrator. Nancy Sladek has edited the magazine for the last fifteen years and in 2015 was awarded the prestigious Benson Medal for outstanding services to English literature. The iconic covers have been illustrated since 1997 by Chris Riddell, who was made Children's Laureate in 2015. Contributors to the magazine have included, among many others, Diana Athill, Kingsley Amis, Martin Amis, Beryl Bainbridge, John Banville, Julian Barnes, Hilary Mantel, John Mortimer, Malcolm Bradbury, A S Byatt, Paul Johnson, David Starkey, John Gray, Robert Harris, Nick Hornby, Richard Ingrams, Joseph O'Neill, Lynn Barber, Derek Mahon, Oleg Gordievsky, John Sutherland and D J Taylor This magazine is flush with tight smart writing.'Washington Post Literary Reviewis extremely informative, well-written and altogether enjoyable. It is my favourite monthly magazine.' Muriel Spark Literary Reviewyou find something that has almost vanished from the book pages: its contributors are actually interested in Literature.' Martin Amis I'm always impressed at how Literary Reviewis at recruiting top writers and then getting them to write their best.' John Sutherland The best books in history and politics reviewed by people whose independence of mind one respects.' Michael Burleigh
About This Subscription
What Will I Receive?
• Please note that this magazine subscription is delivered directly to your chosen address by the publisher, and does not come in a gift pack
• Your subscription will usually start with the next available issue and will not be the current issue that is available in the shops at the time of order.
When Will I Start Receiving My Subscription?
• As soon as you place your order we will take payment from you, email you a summary of your order and, pass your order to the relevant magazine publisher.
• Once the publisher has confirmed the order (this may take up to 10 days) we will email you confirmation of this, along with delivery estimates for your 1st issue.
As a guide (for UK Publications), please allow:
• 3-5 weeks for Weekly publications
• 5-9 weeks for Monthly publications
• 13 weeks for Bi-monthly and Quarterly Publications.
Orders for magazines printed outside of the UK may take an additional 2-3 weeks.