Would you like to find out who inspired the famous children's book character, Percy the Park Keeper? The author and illustrator who created him, Nick Butterworth, invites us into his home to show us how he works, from the first spark of an idea to the published book.
* Green/ Band 5 books offer early readers patterned language and varied characters.
* Text type - A non-fiction recount.
* Pages 14-15 show three stages of Nick drafting an illustration of Percy, ideal for exploring ideas, preparation and editing/planning within children's own work.
* Curriculum links - Art and design: Building shapes and patterns, an event in pictorial form.
* This fascinating non-fiction book can be read alongside.Nick's other titles for Collins Big Cat, Percy and the Rabbit, and Percy and the Badger.
* This book has been levelled for Reading Recovery.
Nick Butterworth is the author of many internationally acclaimed children's books including 'Jingle Bells', 'QPootle5', 'Tiger' and 'The Whisperer' which won the Gold Award at the Nestle Book Awards. He is best known for his stories about Percy the Park Keeper. Nick has also presented children's stories on television, created a cartoon strip for The Sunday Express Magazine and worked for major graphic design consultancies. He has two grown-up children, and lives with his wife in Suffolk.