In this book-length study, Ewa Szary-Matywiecka examines Maria Wirtemberska's Malvina, or the Heart's Intuition, an international success upon its publication in 1816 that is now widely considered to be Poland's first psychological novel. Applying structuralist methods, Szary-Matywiecka situates Wirtemberska among other literary luminaries of her day, including Rousseau and Goethe, and explores how the nineteenth-century salon culture formed the concerns and themes of her novel. Malvina's obsession with language games recall the vocabulary quizzes and semantic puzzles popular in the European salons frequented by Wirtemberska. Szary-Matywiecka also argues that the novel's motif of twins and twinned characters emerges from both the theatrical preoccupations of salons, as well as how Wirtemberska seemingly splits her voice between traditional narration and a more intrusive authorial style, helping shape her novel's innovative narrative method. Malvina, or Spoken Word in the Novel is an insightful deconstruction of a female-penned classic of European literature. 4 halftones CPSIA choking or other US hazard warning -No California Proposition 65 hazard warning necessary
About the Author
Ewa Szary-Matywiecka is professor emerita at the Institute for Literary Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw. Magdalena Ozarska is professor of English at Jan Kochanowski University in Kielce, Poland.
- Contributor: Ewa Szary-Matywiecka
- Imprint: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- ISBN13: 9788024645322
- Number of Pages: 230
- Packaged Dimensions: 146x203mm
- Format: Paperback
- Publisher: Karolinum,Nakladatelstvi Univerzity Karlovy,Czech Republic
- Release Date: 2021-10-25
- Binding: Paperback / softback
- Biography: Ewa Szary-Matywiecka is professor emerita at the Institute for Literary Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw. Magdalena Ozarska is professor of English at Jan Kochanowski University in Kielce, Poland.
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if you are not, we will refund or replace your order up to 30 days after purchase. Terms and exclusions apply; find out more from our Returns and Refunds Policy.